Saturday, August 16, 2008

Met some fellow Iron Girls in Training

Saturday 8/16

Today I went to Normandale Lake to do the 2 miler run again pushing the kids in the stroller. That's pretty much all I can do when Peter is at work. We are trying to strategize who gets to go do their long solo workout and when. Neither of us woke up at 5:30 am as planned. Well actually

I was up at 5:00 am unplanned as Vivian woke up hungry. But didn't feel like going out the door - after I fed her. Just slipping back under the covers was too tempting.
We went to the Lake around 10 am. When I was unloading the kids in the parking lot - I noticed a woman sitting alone in her SUV. Last time I was there - I witnessed suspicous activity that was either a drug deal or the new "wide stance tap". I just note when people are just alone in a parked car for no apparent reason - especially when I have my purse in my car.

As I was putting the stroller together three women came zipping through the parking lot on their bikes. And the woman jumps out of the SUV and said how was it!? "Lots of hills!! Phew" I smiled and thought - nope no drug deals going down today. They are for sure Iron Girls!!! I yelled over to them "Training for Iron Girl!? " "Yep!!" I hustled over to them to chat. Turns out they were on a Team in Training for Leukemia and Lymphoma and the woman waiting for them was their coach. I was able to ask some questions I'd been wondering about the route.
Like - what about the stoplights? - Someone is there to direct traffic - you can go right through! (nice) . Another woman had 7 knee surgerys and she was most concerned about the run. She said it was slow going for her. But -they were all so motivated and positive and happy about their workout. If that was just a tiny cross-section of the energy and positivity that will be around that September morning - I can not wait!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Kay, I love when I am out and about and meet fellow 3-Dayers. It is great to talk to other people who are doing and experiencing the same things you are.

I just wanted to stop by and say "I know what you're talking about!" It is really soon right? Good luck!

Kay said...

Thanks for the note Kim. I'm finally getting caught up with my training online.
Yes - I'll be Iron Girling while you're 3-daying. Next weekend 9.21 - think of me Sunday am from about 7:30am -10am I'll be huffing and puffing up and down hills and around a lake in Bloomington. I'll think of you walking your socks off!

- Kay

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.